- Does God ever seem far away?
- Do you find yourself wondering why God allows certain things to happen?
- Is your prayer life feeling flat or empty?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, welcome to the club! These questions and life experiences are a natural, and some would say inevitable part of everyone’s faith journey.
A spiritual companion can be useful during these tough times. Spiritual Direction, or spiritual companioning, is actually a foundational practice that dates all the way back in our Christian history to the years just after Christ’s death. In Spiritual direction, a trained listener partners with you to see, hear, and know the loving presence of God within and through your life.
WHAT HAPPENS IN SPRITUAL DIRECTION?
In Spiritual Direction, a person meets with a covenanted partner who listens carefully and skillfully with the seeker for the movements of an ever-present, compassionate God. Together, they build or restore the seeker’s relationship with God. The director may pray with their partner. Talking about various spiritual practices is often helpful, as well.
- Support the unique spiritual journey of every individual.
- Are present with those they companion, listening and responding without being judgmental.
- Are contemplative and honor spiritual practices such as silence, sabbath, meditation, Scripture, worship, or journaling, along with other practices important to the directee.
My training and education in Spiritual Direction is grounded in the early Christian Contemplative tradition which began with the Desert Fathers and Mothers a few centuries after Christ walked among us. It is based on two essential foundations: 1. Contemplative Presence God is alive and active in all of created